Friday, February 19, 2010

No Really ... Thanks

Thanks Mr TV for showing Cougar Town , Two and half Men , Adults Only 20 to 1 , How I met your Mother, and even Malcolm in the Middle ads when my kids are watching their hour of afternoon tele... it rocks that I have to talk about vulgarity , inappropriate meaning and sayings and generally adult concepts to my kids.

Thanks also to the other parents of Bears classmates who ALL (Bears words) let their kids watch these shows AND get M15+ DVDs and Video games... You make D and I look like were Amish.

I'm soooo over having the "vulgar" talk to my kids especially Bear. I know that all little boys who are on the cusp of teenager hood revel in smutty sayings and dirty ditties... Dave and I are not prudes we get it... but there is a difference between this and trying to explain to my 12 and 9 year olds why a show that talks about teenage boys m*sturb*ting over older woman is NOT APPROPRIATE VIEWING FOR CHILDREN (Cougar Town I'm talking to YOU!)

Okay I'm done ... can someone help me off this soapbox now... I'm off to rig up the horse and buggy to get into town (cos I'm Amish apparently).

7 comments:

The Fredy Family said...

unfortunately americans have allowed tv to become looser and looser. The words that are acceptable to be said on prime time tv shock me. Couger town is a horrible show. Did you know that Royal Carribiean has a Cougar cruise that is strickly for women (Cougars) and young men. It's horrible. I am waiting for our commercials to become like Europe's with the nudity. And by no means are MIke and I prude either but as parents we do have to look out for our kids because I see what happens to the ones that don't have parents that care and it is pretty sad.

vyc said...

I hear ya sister. But you know that because we talked this (and everything else) to death today. Love your blog (and that you showed me how to leave comments - duh!), thanks for today, it was lurvely, x

Nicolee said...

Liz....we're so with you here!!! So sick of totally inappropriate adds for adult shows, in very inappropriate times!!!
Don't be ashamed, who cares what 'other parents' do (the kids are presumably stretching the truth anyways!!!...and if not, how sad for their kids!!!)
I tell my boys, God has given them to us, for us to be responsible for them, not other kids....so that doesn't happen in our house!!!
Stand up for what you believe in, they are only yours to teach and train for such a little time!! Make the most of it!
you're awesome!!!!
x

Elizabeth said...

Aimee - You Americans are not on your own (especially as we get most of out TV content from you). Enjoy this time when your bubba's are completely innocent and are only influenced by you and your fam. Ex

Vyc - I love you and your commenting and your driving. Ex

Nic - I LOVE that image of God giving you the boys to love and look after. David and I are trying to fight the good fight (I just needed to rant). Cant wait to see you Ex

brooke said...

I totally agree. I haven't seen cougar town but good grief. I am shocked at what they are allowed to say on tv these days. When I was a kid, kissing on tv was a big deal.

My kids will alwasy turn on Family guy thinking it is a kid show because it is animated and I have to turn it off quick!

vyc said...

I take no responsibility for your car sickness. You should come with a warning!!!

vyc said...

And one more comment. Just cause you showed me how. Plus the Word Verification was 'vickiesp'. Hello????? Feel free to NOT display this one! I'm so chuffed I have yet another avenue to stalk you!