Friday, December 18, 2009

Still Very Cool

For David's birthday the kids and I got him tickets to see Fleetwood Mac. David's favourite music is either classical (snore) or The Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, Cat Stevens and Supertramp... it would be fair to say we have very different playlists on our ipods. That being said the Fleetwood Mac concert was very very cool.

We trekked into the city for the show and I took this pic after having a conversation with D about our water supply. We are low on water (all our water comes from tanks on our property). It hasn't rained here properly for months and I'm starting to get worried we will run out of water at an inconvenient time ... like boxing day when I'm hosting a lunch for 20 ish peeps. I was saying to D that we should buy some water... and he replied he thought it was going to rain... look at the sky in this pic... Denial is not just a river in Egypt.


Smiley Dave
This is me trying to capture the average age of the punters at this show (the lady behind David)... the Fleetwood Mac audience is mostly aging baby boomers, some trying to hold back the tide of advancing years more successfully than others. The 60 year old men in tight Ed Hardy shirts was a real treat.

The corner of this pic is the beer tent... where you could queue for a stupid amount of time to buy really overpriced grog. I took this pic from the balcony bar where you could queue for a shorter amount of time for overpriced grog but get to look down your nose at the punters in the beer tent...

David looks like he should be at a Pink Floyd concert in this pic...

This is what a rock star looks like... Stevie Nicks has presence, charisma and superstar dust on stage in spades. Even forgiving the fact that she is still wearing the same outfits from 1983 (black gypsie dresses) and still using the same props (the tambourine with ribbons) THIS ROCK STAR IS STILL VERY COOL.
Stevie and Lyndsey Buck have had some very public meltdowns during the years and if you want to hear the best break up/please don't leave me/or take off with a fellow band member song ever ... go no further than "Second Hand News".
For the first 3 songs of the concert Stevie and the Buck didn't acknowledge on another... and they did a split screen on the huge video screen so it showed them standing together singing (when they were on different sides of the stage). At the end of song four she hugged him and the crowd went wild. I gather the mythology of their animosity is bigger than them... but they did stay on separate sides of the stage for 99% of the show. Mick Fleetwood is still fantastic on the drums and the solo guitar pieces were amazing.
Going to see great live music is something we don't do enough ... I might make more of an effort in 2010...I would appreciate it if the rockers could start their shows earlier as I like to be in bed by 9pm but all in all it was fantastic birthday gift from a fantasic wife.

4 comments:

House of Smiths said...

Great post! Looks like you had a blast!
I loved the part about the old men in their Ed Hardy T's. Is that SO true, or WHAT!? :)
Shelley

Elizabeth said...

Shelley I didnt even tell you about how all the Ed Hardy T's and their Mrs set up tables in the carpark to have wine and cheese before the gig (with the Mac booming from their car stereos)... I guess the GFC is hitting the Babyboomers hard...

Ali :-) said...

Hey mate!

OMG... your post cracked me up!!! Wow... Dave's taste in music... not much to say to that but "hmmmmmm"!

Have loved reading your posts! You've got a great knack for writing!

Hope you guys are all well!
Ali :o) xoxo

brooke said...

I love Fleetwood Mac and I love this post. I bet the 60 year old men in Ed Hardy shirts were very sexy.