It is that time of year. Things wind up (like the school year) and get a bit crazy. It is also getting hotter (just to make running around doing errands harder) and the pressure to make sure Christmas Day is perfect is just a little bit daunting (especially because I don't do perfect ;-)
I am struggling at the moment not to feel overwhelmed with the things I need to shop for, post, make, organise and achieve before our Christmas activities start. This post may sound like I am a whirl of activity at the moment ... that couldn't be further from the truth. I am so disorganised I didn't even manage to get the kids the chocolate advent calenders that are sort of a tradition at our place. In previous years the kids have got up, popped open the day and eaten the chocolate all before 7am!. This year I wanted to get some good quality advent calenders with a mix of chocolate and small gifts (that didn't send them hyper & psycho before breaky). Didn't happen... and yesterday when I dragged myself to the shops looking for the crappy chocolate box advent calenders only to find they were ALL sold out (it is the 7th December what else can I expect) I cried ... twice.
Today my gorgeous friend called and as always was the voice of reason. Not that I really said anything about Christmas being overwhelming... she just knows, and she gave me the best gift she could today ... perspective. Christmas Day will be great, Boxing Day (at my house with lots of family members) will be lots of work but good fun and the kids will get over the chocolate advent calender loss (we do have a tree with wooden blocks that count down the days till Christmas day... as it doesn't have chocolate it isn't that popular!)
I really am so lucky to have what I have.
I have a much more interesting post that involves pics of our weekend with my gorgeous and sparkly SIL and pretty flower girls dresses... but I wanted to get this out.
4 comments:
Dang it... that stinks! My girls have THREE advent calenders FULL of waxy, bad tasting chocolate. They won't eat them... so I stick little m&m's inside the cubby instead! :)
You could do something like that, eh?
Improvisation... it's what being a mother is ALL about. Good luck getting that long list of things done. I'm sure it will all turn out great!
~Shelley
Thanks Shelley, I really want to make one! and now I will (probably in May lol). Lulu came up with a solution. We bought a bag of maltesers (choc balls) and each day the kids have one for Breakfast!!! Not quite the advent calendar I had in mind.
Ex
I soooo relate to this. I feel like I spend most of the month just running around not even enjoying the season. As for the advent calendars--I'm happy to send you some cheap-o waxy chocolate ones from the states if you email me your address. I don't know how long it would take to get them to you! brookeharkness at msn.com
That is such a kind offer Brooke. Thank you. I think I am the only one lamenting the advent calendar thing! the kids don't really care. Thanks again
Ex
Post a Comment