Friday, January 8, 2010

Keeping It Real aka Way TMI

Some very insightful and witty writers/bloggers have been posting about keeping it real on their blogs...not just posting the great stuff or the shiny pics about them and their family and it struck a chord with me. I started this blog for a few reasons. I wanted to record the goings on of the kids lives (I seriously have a problem with my short term memory...more on that at a later post) before I forgot it. I wanted a place to chuck all the useless & random thoughts that go around and around my head and having a blog/journal was part of the advice given by the counsellor I started seeing about managing my anxiety/stress and sorting out some "issues" I was tired of carry around. I wanted to make a photobook of family pics each year since I cant seem to find the time to scrapbook anymore. I wanted to write reviews of books and music and TV shows I liked without seeing my family and friends eyes glaze over when I tried to talk to them. I also wanted to comment more of fantastic blogs I visited and felt like a stalker knowing lots about people but not revealing anything about myself.
But I heavily edit this blog...especially the pics of me. Because I'm vain and controlling and I need to manage how others see me (counselling is going well cant you tell). Other things about me I really don't want you to know / or I would never tell you...
I find some friendships really hard work... If you want a friend who is always there for you and spends lots of time with you... I am not that person... I am ashamed that I am not a better friend.
I find it very difficult to have people in my house, I cant relax and end being exhausted by the people who I'm suppose to be spending "quality time" with. This is partly due to the size of my house (tiny) I am hoping that when we add another bathroom and bedroom I will feel more comfortable with having people stay over.
I will avoid conflict at all cost...I don't think I was ever given the skills to be assertive (this doesn't mean I don't get my own way) and a huge part of my counselling is trying to be assertive and honest with the people I love.
I struggle with living in the present moment... everyday I have to remind myself not to hang on to the past , not to overplan or stress about the future but enjoy and live today.
At 3am I stress and worry about my kids in very strange ways...I think I am so lucky having the children I have (healthy , good learners, well behaved and socially adjusted) but I'm scared to death its all going to change ...my kids are really easy ... what did I do to deserve this and if it is all just luck...I cant control it . Then I wake up and see that maybe luck and parenting have a bit to do with it... but it still stresses me out.
I have minor panic attacks in underground carparks and in confined spaces. When we went to Fleetwood Mac I was very worried about being in a building with that many people ...I relaxed as soon as I worked out where the exits were....I really do not want to be limited by what scares me...hence the counselling.


I reckon that this little blogspew is more than enough for "keeping it real". I have also posted a pic that I would never normally post...bra showing, stringy hair, wrinkle/triple chin, fat droopy arm, stupid look on my no makeup face..... Its a great one of Bear!

The funny/ironic thing about blogging is that the honest blogs where writers tell it like it is are the most interesting ones - not the train wreck ones that I cant read as I feel like a voyeur and not the blogs where ONLY the cute, shiny, perfectly edited pics and info is shared - I watch rom coms for that level of make believe.
Have a great day
Ex

9 comments:

The Fredy Family said...

I have so many pictures of myself that same position and I hate it. I always have to remind my self to not lean back like that. I to end up with a few chins!!! :-)

brooke said...

I love this post because I can relate so much. I scrutinize every photo of me before it goes on the blog. I went through 20 pictures of me to find one of my new hair color. Yup, pretty vain. Also, I don't share a lot of personal stuff on the blog--like my house was for sale last year and I didn't talk about it at all--I don't know why--it is easier for me to just talk about stupid tv shows and stuff.

I'm a bad friend too and prefer to keep friends at arms' length--as in, let's get together but don't come over every day.

By the way, I would never have thought anything about that picture of you--except cute pic of Elizabeth and her son. See how self-obsessed we are--it's crazy. I love reading your blog because you are half a world away and yet--we are so alike.

vyc said...

You could be upside down in a hession bag and you'd still look gorgeous. I wish you'd see that. And you are so a good friend (yes I see your eyes glazing over). Am loving your blog, keep on keeping it real....x

Amanda Gibson said...

Hey, lady! Great post! I am a firm believer in "keeping it real" - BUT - I totally edit all my photos before posting them on my blog, too. Who knows why - I mean, anyone who reads my blog knows that I'm absolutely NOT perfect in any way. It's weird - I find it way easier to write honestly about myself (my imperfections, etc) than to show off my imperfections in photos. Huh. I guess we all have our weird little issues.

Elizabeth said...

Brooke... I love your new hair colour and I enjoy all the topics on your blog.
Amanda ...I love reading your blog as you always keep it real AND you are such a great writer.
Miss VYC... Comments like this is why there will be stalking involved if you ever try to leave me.
Aimee... Your pics are always good AND your blog is such a great tribute to all the everyday stuff your babes do.

vyc said...

Ooooh, promises, promises. I love a good stalking!

Nicolee said...

aaaahhh! Liz...this is why we love you so much....you are so honest, and I can relate to everything you jsut said....and you're one step ahead of me...at least you're brave enough to get out and have a blog and be honest!!! Don't worry, we're all the same, getting older and more worried, don't ever forget who can help you there tho!!! love you my friend...and please keep it up!!!
Nic x x x x x

Elizabeth said...

Nic, thanks babe ... for lots and lots things. Take good care my friend.
Ex

Angela said...

after reading this I started writing this complex message about understanding, when what I really wanted to say was I love you.