Monday, January 11, 2010

Awfully Wedded



Dear Husband of Mine,

Thirteen years ago today you stood in front of a bar in the No 2 convention room at the casino and vowed in the presence of our friends and family to take me as your awfully wedded wife. The crowd thought you were being funny. I knew you were just confused.

Even though that day was full of lows and I know you like details so I will list them (that could me just me)

like
my family members, your family members, the torrential rain, the trainee wedding photographer, the celebrant who failed to turn up, the casino staff who failed to do pretty much anything they were obliged to, the whole wedding having to move from the gardens to the no 2 convention room about 15 minutes before the ceremony,the lack of information telling our guests that the wedding had moved resulting in peeps wandering in at all times, the dinner being served to all 12 tables before either of your parents tables were served, the lack of chairs at the ceremony (making the parts of the ceremony where we asked people to stand ...unnecessary), our underage guests nearly drinking the bar dry, me having to walk through the poker machines and smokers bar to find the no 2 convention room in full bridal getup, me crying and lastly not being able to get rid of all our brothers and sisters who came back to the bridal suite after the reception.
Yes the trainee wedding photographer thought this pose was hilarious..."point and laugh at the newly weds"


Having had 13 years to reflect on our wedding day, you will be pleased to know I have come up with a few positives like


Your brother Nick flying up at the last minute to be your best man and coming into the casino the next day to have lunch with us. It was my introduction to the rock solid support Nick has shown us always.


My Aunt organising for my Nanna to fly up and attend the wedding. My Mum's Mum was the best grandparent any child could wish for. To her many grandchildren she was kindness and tolerance personified as well as being just good fun. Of course I didn't know on that day that it would be the last time I would see her as she died later in the year making her presence at the wedding even more bittersweet.


But the most amazing and important thing to have occurred on that strange day 13 years ago was that I became your wife .... and for that I would go through all the crappy weddings and stressful Receptions in the world because being part of your life has enriched mine... beyond measure.

So on the aniversary of that day... I wanted to thank you for marrying me and for making our union much more than the sum of its parts....we are a good team you and I.

Eternally yours,

Your Awfully Wedded Wife.

Us celebrating 12 years

10 comments:

House of Smiths said...

awhh... i love it! happy anniversary. you two are so great together. both beautiful people, with beautiful kids to show for it.
happy day!!

brooke said...

This brought a smile to my face. I loved having a glimpse of your wedding day--even with all the craziness! You two make the cutest couple--love that anniverary picture.

Your husband will never live down the awfully wedded wife comment!

Elizabeth said...

Brooke and Shelley,
I'm having the worst day ... my email has been hacked (ignore stupid emails from me!) and my address book wiped... BUT your comments remind me why I love the Internet I "met" you guys!!!
Thanks for your kind comments
Ex

vyc said...

Happy, happy anniversary. Please note that I am resisting the urge to make ANY comments regarding the awful wedded wife bit. That my friend, is my present to you!!

Elizabeth said...

Vyc... Duly noted Your Honour....Ex

The Fredy Family said...

Happy Anniversary! I thought I had an interesting wedding but yours beats mine out by so much!!! Did the police show up to yours??? :-)
At least you have wonderful memories that you can laugh about. I love a good wedding story.

When do you get your pics? Which ones did you choose???

Nicolee said...

happy anniversay my friend! Did I also notice the absence of a bridesmaid, or just the presence of an extra groomsman? ;)
At least you'll never forget your wedding day!!! LOL
I think the worst that happened at ours, was the wrong coloured flowers were delivered and there was a STRANGE, NEARLY NAKED MAN in my room when we went to the hotel to get ready.....the valet took us to the wrong room!!! LOL
Memories are an incredible thing...good & bad!
Nic x

Nicolee said...

...oh and i forgot, our wedding video-er loved the carpet...a bit too much...lotsa floor view! :(

Elizabeth said...

Aimee... No police at our wedding - obviously we just weren't trying!
Nic... This is funny 'cos mostly what I remember from your ceremony was your fantastic coloured purple and orange flowers! (and that the barbie doll on the wedding car was an exact replica of you!!!) I was adamant that the only groomsmen & bridesmaids we were having were our brothers and sisters...which just made for lopsided pics - well spotted. Ex

The Mostess said...

I had to go back and find out what was so awful. Wow. Your day is second only to my cousin's wedding day, They were on a boat in a lake....and it sank.

They tried to make up for it by hot air ballooning on their anniversary--and crash landed in a PRISON YARD where they were detained and held all day because the cops thought they were trying to break a prisoner out. True stories.