Warning : This post is entirely about my hair... so if you thought that I wasn't vain and self indulgent ... this post will totally dispel those myths for you.
The background to this starts about 2 months ago when I had possibly the worst hair cut and colour from a hairdresser I know through work... It was time to seek out another hairdresser in my constant search for the perfect hairstyle/cut/colour you know the one that is going to make my life perfect. I have been on this particular quest since 1987. There is a teacher at Lulus school who has great hair at the moment and we both agree that its due to her current hairdresser... So I thinks to myself "Im gunna get me some of that".
I wont bore you with details (oops it appears that is exactly what I am doing) but the salon where the stylist works is so uber cool and edgy ... they don't advertise... as in good luck finding them in those tacky yellow pages or that consumerism gone made Internet... they don't even have a proper sign on the door so if you cough drive past/scope out cough manage to spot the salon ... still no phone no. Eventually I do track down the number and eventually after the 11th time I ring someone answers (I promise I'm not making this up). I get an appointment for yesterday afternoon (just a 4 week wait) Hallelujah Brother. I spent all of yesterday with a happy happy heart ...there is nothing I love more than a trip to the hairdresser where peeps fuss over me, care about finding the exact shade of beige that is going to make my brown eyes pop and improve my look all whilst I suck down as many extra hot skinny mochas as I like.
To illustrate just how happy I was about my trip to the salon at about lunch time Dave emailed me (yes from the office next door) and asked me "how it was going" I proceeded to list all the reasons I was sooo sooo happy about going to the hairdressers and what I planned to get done to my hair and knowing how much he likes me to detail all the stuff going on in my brain I may have included pictures of hairstyle's and colours I was thinking of trying out... turns out he meant "How was I going with the (Insert Clients Name Here) drawings" ... oops.
You just know that I was riding for a fall don't you ... I was just way too excited about this afternoon for it to deliver the goods.
So I get to the salon and its all art gallery chic with the polished concrete floors and minimalist furniture... I sit perched on the steel bench with the pretty young girl with full sleeve tattoos next to me and think I really need either more tattoos or a Mohawk to blend in here.
When my HD is ready we start talking about me... But first Kylie stops me mid sentence and says "OK hang on I'm just going to move your part (flips my hair over to the other side of my head) there that covers your cowlick better, now what were you saying?" Wow I hate it when my disgusting cowlick distracts peeps from talking to me.
So we talk and its great although she thinks for the hairstyle she is suggesting I may need to use more product and she also thinks I may be scared of it ... scared of it? I feel like telling Kylie I was a teenager in the 1980's (when she was probably in nappies) so what with the spiral perm and the teased fringe, product or liquid concrete or industrial lacquer were my best friends. I ain't scared of no product. Great we have decided on a style (it goes without saying that she trash talks my current style and most of my ideas but that is OK she knows her stuff and I completely trust her to sprinkle some hairdressing magic over my head).
Then Kylie turns from my spiritual hair leader to my arch Nemesis.
"you know you don't have a booking for the colourist today"
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
My regrowth is about 10cm long, I look like a skunk , I cant go another day without a colour... WHAT THE ......!
After much "dialoging" with the colourist ... its decided the computer has made a booking error and I should come back. As in come back another day... as in... I'm walking out of hair nirvana looking as shite as when I walked in. I am not too embarrassed to tell you blog friends that I nearly cried when Kylie was making the next appointment. She kept asking me what days (in two weeks time) were good for me... How about when the stars in the southern hemisphere align and I don't have the drama club car pool or when there isn't a rugby game I'm suppose to be burning sausages at or when a teacher doesn't need to meet with me about my child's incessant need to chat (wonder where the kid gets that from) ... how does that day suit you Kylie???
I slinked out the salon and called David... and bawled " Um they couldn't hic do my hic hair hic bawl bawl bawl" He says " Well we are only gardening and paving this weekend so just get it done next week" I bawl some more " My hair is sooo bad hic you don't hic wanna leave hic the house hic with meeeeeeee" knowing he is on a hiding to nothing with this conversation he tells me to come home .
There is more crying and carry on when I get in the car AND when I get home. At one point Lulu and I are sitting on her bed BOTH crying "about stupid Hairdressers" ... no I never claimed not to be an emotional spaz. Its around this time that Bear and David tell us to shut up or shut the bedroom door with "its only hair" being muttered under peeps breath.
As you can see 18 hours out from the trauma its all still quite raw .... so if you sitting there reading this thinking "Jeez I'm so glad I've got a good Hairdresser who is capable of both giving great hair AND taking a booking" keep your thoughts to yourself... this 37 year old horrible regrowth wearing, wrong side of the head hair part, offensive cow lick girl doesn't wanna hear it!
Maybe Kylie stuffed her booking up too.
10 comments:
Oh. my. gosh. I think I've found someone that is as neurotic about their hair as I am. My motto for years has been "It's just hair" to try to get myself to try new things or calm down about it but I can't. You know the DRAMA I went through when I went dark a few months ago....I feel your pain.
I actually had a similar experience when I waited to get in with an uber exclusive, uber high-end, uber cool and also gay, which translates to super talented, hairdresser. Turned out that he couldn't get me in due to a booking error and I had to come back a week later--but I had a big event to go to that night and had to go with BAD hair and it dang near ruined my life.
So basically, I feel your pain--I hate regrowth and roots and I hate it when my hair will just do nothing because it doesn't have color in it.
I'm sad for you and let's hope that when you come back in two weeks--this woman works a miracle and lets you keep your freakin part on the same side!
Thanks Brooke, I knew you would understand :-)
Ex
LOL
Okay... being a hairdresser for about 5 years... I HAVE to laugh at this.
Not in a "you're funny, and so ridiculous" way... but more... "I TOTALLY KNOW HOW YOU FEEL" way.
I have the worlds THINEST hair. It's a pain in my arss. Really!
The WHOLE reason I went to hair school to begin with, was to learn how to DO MY OWN! Because I was so embarrassed to ACTUALLY get it done in a "cool" salon.
What artist wants to work on thin, stringy hair???
Cue almost 7 years later.
I STILL hate my hair... and no longer practice hairdressing.
When I stopped..... because I was prego with the twins, I got a TON of hateful phone calls.
"Well WHO am I suppose to get my hair done from now????"
"You're just gonna STOP doing hair?"
"You could have warned me... now I have NOBODY to turn to!"
WOAH! It was bad. I felt AWFUL! But I WAS about 5 months preggers with TWO ... count 'em... TWO babies!
Give a girl a break!!!
Okay... and on a more serious note... I hate to even tell you this, because now it's gonna get all 'OH I'm so sorry, Shelley'
But the ONE hairdresser that I would give ALL the money in the world to... to fix up my hair... when I HAD the funds... just committed suicide!
No joke. This past Monday was her funeral.
It was the saddest!
She left 4 kids behind. 3 Girls and a boy.
And every time I start to THINK about how bad I need hair color, I just start to bawl.
Talk about a WRECK!
Cason told me the other day that I need to just find another hairdresser, and then I won't miss her so much... (not that it was ONLY about her being my hairdresser... bc she was my friend too)
But what he doesn't understand, is that finding a NEW... GOOD hairdresser, is HARDER than finding a new OBGYN!!!
Rats. It's the pits, I tell ya Liz.
I feel your pain.
I'm sorry you have skunk roots... and if I didn't live halfway around the world... I would FOR SURE put some stunning mocha highlights in your cowlick-ed hair!!!
Shell's
Oh my lord. I think I laughed equal to your crying. But not at you babes, not at you. Screw that hairdresser, please tell me you are not going back to that stupid cow. You are beautiful (and freaking funny) and for the record (everyone else listen up) I have never seen her or her hair look anything but perfect!!!! p.s. you will wear a hat to the movies on Sunday won't you. Oh god I'm laughing again....xxxxxx
computer error means they should have figured out how to get your hair done that day. but that's my opinion. When we have "computer errors" (brain dead employees) when fit the client in asap.
Why is it that animals seem to get better service than humans???? Ok now I am venting.
Sorry you have to have skunk hair for 2 more weeks. Maybe find a good up do for a while or a cute hat. :-)
This is so funny (sad for you, I know!)! I am crazy picky about my hair, too!
one of the best posts ever! I haven't been able to pay for a good hair cut and color for a while, so I feel your pain. I would definitely bawl if my primping day was cancelled. Cheer up. My husband never understands about hair either!
It is NEVER just hair. It is the heart and soul of my appearance. It is almost more important than make up and clothes.
I've had my share of bad hair experiences, too. Only mine involved them cutting and coloring and me walking out in tears AFTER the appointment. Good luck with yours. I hope you have fabulous hair in two weeks. :-)
ohhhhh Liz, as with everyone else...I feel your pain!!!! Just as well you are so beautiful, inside and out, that no one will even notice the skunkness!!! mwah mwah!! x x x x
I am so with you on the hair thing. A bad hair day literally ruins MY WHOLE DAY. I will sit and think of nothing but how crappy I look and how embarrassed I am for people to see my crappy hair. I was a complete mess when mine was falling out and now that it's growing back I'm a complete mess all over again because I have all these baby fine hairs sticking up all over my head.
I totally feel your pain and want you to know that NO ONE ELSE THINKS IT LOOKS AS BAD AS YOU DO. Trust me. When my hair was falling out I would make little comments about how bald I was getting and my friends and co workers (and sometimes complete strangers that I would attack and make inspect my head) would say - What? You're not going bald! I really I was - but no one really noticed but me. Because nobody really paid attention to my hair like I did (do). Imagine that! No one else is as obsessed with how I look as I am.
The moral of that little story is that things really never look as bad to other people as they do to you. We women tend to agonize over a little something until it is a HUGE something - to us, anyway.
So, yea. I feel your pain. But it'll get better. And in two weeks you will be ONE HOT MAMA! And you'll totally forget about the cowlick and the skunk stripe. Which I'm sure really isn't as skunky as you think it is!
;o)
Post a Comment