Thursday, April 15, 2010

Friends


I'm so lucky to have them.
When I was pregnant with Bear I joined a community group for expecting parents. Its aim was childbirth education and it had a great library of parenting and birth books and you could go to classes that gave you some idea of what having a baby was going to be like (not really but before you have your first baby you think knowledge is power... after you have the baby you realise sleep and a meal you didn't have to cook is the real power). We also facilitated tours of the local hospital and birthing suites, I suspect this sort of thing doesn't go on anymore. When I had Lulu I became a little bit more involved and volunteered in the office sometimes or with the newsletter (Tam worked in the office and was the primary educator at that stage). When Lulu was about 1 our childbirth education organisation joined with the Home Birth Group... and I was out of there (no offence to homebirthers but I have one word WHY? ...ok that probably was a bit offensive).
The best thing about that time was meeting these two girls. Coincidentally we all have boys exactly the same age and then had girls at the same time.Tam went on to spoil the matchy matchy by having another child but we still like her. We live all over Oz now but last weekend Neit was visiting Tam and both popped over for the afternoon with all the kids. It was soooooo good to chat and laugh and even get a bit teary! These girls are true friends, the best kind a new mum can have... the honest non pretend kind and I'm really lucky to have them in my life... even if i don't see them very much.

1 comment:

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Love this - there is nothing like good friends!