
A few years ago David and I took the kids to an island in the Whitsundays for our Christmas holidays. It was great... it rained a bit but what did we expect going to the tropics in Jan??? We sort of bonded with an English family who had kids the same age and did the same kid activities like mini golf, beach cricket and chuck tantrums (and because we were the only two family's on the island who neglected to bring their Nanny's with them ... oops I hate it when I leave my Nanny at home) .
Anyhoo this English family were great fun and we spent some really nice days together, the Dad worked in "futures" or some such thing on the London Stock Exchange and the Mum was a free lance writer, they were traveling along the East coast of Oz for 3 months whilst their house in Wimbledon was being renovated. When we got back to the coast it turned out that they were staying in an apartment up the road from us so we went and swam in their penthouse pool (which had possible the most stupid design I have ever seen... no sun protection at all ... you know how I am about sun protection). There is a reason I'm boring you to tears with this story... this family could be the family in Ben Elton's latest book.
Meltdown is about how the Global Financial Crisis has effected those who have made their fortunes on the overheated money markets of the UK and what happens when you have no giant income coming in to service your giant debts. Its also about a critique of class society in the UK (as are most of BE books). I really like Ben Elton books, in fact High Society is in my top 5 favourite books of all time. But Meltdown was a bit of a letdown! In fact it feels like Ben has just taken a bit of a gander at all his friends and the local news (the MP housing rorts is one of the main plots) and turned it onto a novel. The ending is so implausible ... I know its called fiction but come on. This book is okay for a very light read but I would rush to buy it.
1 comment:
psh... I WISH I could get paid... but then with THAT comes the pressure of having to promote someones blog on mine. blahhhhhh... Sometimes I feel like it wouldn't be that bad, and then other times I feel like I'd be a sell out or something.
I dunno... I guess I need to just be happy that I get to do something fun...and stop complaining. lol
Shelley
Post a Comment