Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Parenting: the ultimate competitive sport

So Bear is off to high school next year... hand on a sec, I'm pretty sure I just gave birth to that boy and then pretended he wasn't mine as he threw a tantrum in Target...
Anyway around our parts choosing a school for your child is not so much about finding the school that best fits your child's personality, your family's financial circumstances or even your proximity to the school's location and appropriate bus timetables. Its not even about acting on passionately held beliefs about private vs government run vs religious schooling. No here in La La land, choosing a school for your kids is all about one up man ship in the parenting stakes.

We have decided to send Bear to a private college (for lots of reasons, NONE of them being to impress other punters). One of the biggest reasons is that after meeting the Principal and Staff we all felt that this was the 'right' place for Bear to negotiate the hell that is/can be high school and I would actually stack shelves at Woollies to make this happen. This post is prompted by a conversation I had on Saturday Night with another Mum at the kids school and sums up the highly competitive not to mention petty nature of choosing schools for kids.

Other Mum "Where is Bear going next year"

Me " Our Lady of the Dorky Teenagers College" *

Other Mum " Oh I didn't know you were loaded"

What I should have said 'You know you just didn't think that thought... you actually said it"

What I actually Said " Yes we are extremely loaded ... didn't you know"

It was at this point I walked off (to burn $100 notes for fun) .



I love this article as it says so much about how my generation parent ;)

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/your-childs-gifted-you-say-thats-nice-my-kid-has-nits-20090407-9zj3.html



Rant over and now I get why Mums have blogs, it feels great to express opinions about life. The Good Bad and plain Stupid!



* this may not be the actual name of the school ;-)

No comments: