Friday, November 11, 2011

Lest We Forget





They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them.
Lest We Forget





Today - 11/11/11 is Remembrance Day when we recall that at 11 am on 11 November 1918 the guns of the Western Front fell silent after more than four years of war. The allied armies had driven the Germans back and in November they called for an armistice in order to secure a peace settlement. This moment, when hostilities ceased on the Western Front, has become universally associated with the remembrance of those who have died in war … many with no known grave.






Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace.
Where there is hatred let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

Mrs Catherine Hannon







I lifted all this from the children's school newsletter. Such a fitting sentiment .

Ex

4 comments:

Greg said...

I love this post and thank you for reminding us of Armistice Day/Veteran's Day.

I also love the picture of your red poppy. I have always loved the poem: "In Flander's Fields".

God bless our servicemen and women who have given so much so that we might enjoy peace!

brooke said...

I will never forget!

Lauren in GA said...

Great post. We did not do enough to remember. I will do better next year.

Em said...

Love love love this. <3