Thursday, November 10, 2011

Once

I may have mentioned that I like books and I love reading. Strangely I live with someone who never reads (for pleasure) and I gave birth to people who don't read for fun either. Lulu tells her teacher that she "reads" the books she borrows from the school library. This means she "listens" to me read them to her each night before bed. Osmosis is going to work one day right?

This year her book choices have been heavy on the human condition and the darker elements of modern history. I am really hoping for some rainbows and butterflies soon.

When we were in New Zealand her book of choice was The boy in the stripped Pajamas. This story is obviously sad with a horrific climax but as the story is told by the child not being held in the death camp a lot of the sadder nuances went over Lulu's head.



Still we both had a good cry at the end.




Last night we finished this book . Once by Morris Gleitzman.




This is the story of Felix whose parents leave him in a orphanage run by Catholic Nuns in Poland during the second world war. He runs away from the orphanage to try and find his parents but finds the churned up world of Nazi occupied Poland.


"From 1939 until 1945 the world was at war, and the leader of Germany, Adolf Hitler, tried to destroy the Jewish people in Europe. His followers, the Nazis, and those who supported them, murdered six million Jews including one and a half million children. They also killed a lot of other people, many of whom offered shelter to the Jews. We call this time of killing the Holocaust." Once.


This story is told from Felix's (and other children's) point of view and in parts its so upsetting. It is written for kids Lulu's age so none of the story was inappropriate but I shed tears in a few chapters because as a parent I couldn't bare to think about what was happening to these children. After we finished reading last night Lulu said she wasn't sure how she felt about Felix and his friend Zelda both happy and sad.


Lu also let me know Once is the first book of a trilogy with Then and Now to follow.

Ripper pass the tissues.

5 comments:

vyc said...

Oh my lord, there are some doozies in her book selections. Am thinking she might be a deep thinker like her Mama. I let the boys watch 'The boy in the Striped Pyjamas' recently .... I was worried it would scar them, but was very proud that they both 'got it' and we had some wonderful conversations about it. Love ya.

brooke said...

I can't do books about sad things that happen to children...the glass castle did me in a few years ago. I think it is so neat that you read to LuLu.

Lauren in GA said...

I agree with Brooke. It is wonderful that you read to Lulu. I like reading to my boys...because of the discussion it encourages...and I agree...these book selections were heavy. I think it is good for kids to learn about though. She's in the safety of her home and has you to discuss all of her feelings with...but gets to learn that this is a great big world and it isn't all fun and pretty.

I laughed at your hoping for rainbows and butterflies, soon. Maybe even some unicorns, huh? ☺

Em said...

After the year I had, I am all about brain candy and fluff. No heavy books for this girl right now. But I'm with Brooke--books and shows that have sad things happen with children has me plugging my ears and covering my eyes.

Kind of funny story: I got a call from my mom who passed the phone to my sis who was SOBBING and I didn't know why. They'd gone and seen The Boy with the Striped Pajamas movie and it nearly did my sister in. I'd never heard of it and so (sobbing) she told me what happens. Then I started sobbing! ...So, I've still never read the book or seen the movie and I never will.

Em said...

PS--have you read The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak?