Sunday, October 30, 2011

Reality

Reality: In philosophy, reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined.








  • Working two jobs is hard when its pay week, end of month or end of project. When its all three of those things ... its very hard.



  • Yesterday David and Riley worked from 9.30am till 7pm at the workshop cutting up our Walk in Robe. Then from 8pm till 9.30pm David, Riley and I unloaded and carried all the pieces from the WIR from the truck to the house. At 9.35pm I collapsed into bed.



  • Lucy received an invitation to a Halloween party for Monday night. What the? On a school night ? Walking around Kawana Island ? David and I said NO making us the worst parents in the world. We are getting that a lot with Lulu lately.



  • Restoring my faith in sensible parents, two Mums rang me to talk about the above party and offer Lucy a lift and their thoughts etc. I will state the obvious. Parenting is sometimes really hard.



  • I keep waking up at stupid o'clock in the morning. I also keep having very vivid dreams (that make me wake up at stupid o'clock). Is it because I am actually using my brain at work?



  • Yesterday whilst David was at work 2 powerpoints "blew up" and cut the electricity off. I hate it when things like that happen as I am useless at the practicalities of home maintenance.



  • Lu and I went to the farmers market yesterday and got so much produce really cheap. The Farmers were trying to get rid of it as the Sunday Market at Noosa was cancelled. Today I am going to make Caths tomato breaky dish, Carrot and Zucchini cake and pineapple juice to freeze.



  • Where I work at the University has a gym and fitness classes at lunch time. I cant wait to do some activity during the day.



  • Last night when I was waiting for the boys to get home I jumped on Twitter and saw it was going off about Qantas. In a spectacular display of brinkmanship the CEO has shut down Australia's only international airline to cut the oxygen off from the Unions (who in a spectacular display of brinkmanship keep shutting down Australia's only international airline to cut off the oxygen from the CEO). I wonder where this will end. I have Qantas tickets for next year so it better end well ... or I will have to hurt someone ... or at least chuck a massive tantie. Edited to add: I realised when I finished this post that I booked two tradesmen to fly to Mt Isa tomorrow on QANTAS... and then I got super stressed and then I heard that another 3 Aussie diggers have died overnight in Afghanistan .... and then the Qantas debacle all seemed very trivial.



  • I keep thinking about Christmas. Its that time of year I guess. I also keep thinking about 2012. I hope its good.


  • I am typing this post whilst sitting on our stairs. I can smell the Jasmine plant from he garden. Is there anything nicer than flowers that smell beautiful?

7 comments:

Greg said...

Is it star jasmine? We have that in California and I love the smell of it when it is in bloom.

I always wish that I could do some sort of activity at the gym during the lunch hour. There are only two problems for me.

First, I'd have to actually join a gym. And Second, I'd have to feel like I actually had time during the middle of the day to go.

Finally, 2012 is going to be a great year. I can feel it! :)

Elizabeth said...

Greg,
It is Star Jasmine and its so nice.

I too feel I will prob not have the time at lunch time but heres to hopeful thinking :-)

brooke said...

I love reading about your everyday life and yes, life sucks a lot but I love how you mentioned the three Aussie diggers who died and how stuff like that puts things into perspective.

2012 is going to be our year baby!

Em said...

Amen, Ditto, and Amen to Brooke's comment.

And I too love star jasmine. A friend bought me one as a housewarming gift and I planted it with much love out in our backyard. It is such a sweet and delicious fragrance.

And although parenting is hard, Lulu will one day thank you for showing tough love in regards to safety, and parties and such. I didn't know it at the time, but back in the day my mom saved my life a few times by saying no to things like that. I will love her forever for it. And Lulu will (does) feel the same.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Em I REALLY needed to hear that today.
Ex

Lauren in GA said...

My 11 year old thinks that I am horribly unfair. We do it because we love them so much...but I guess I'll never win a popularity contest around here. You are doing a great job, Mama. You may not be popular with the 11 year old set but you will be rewarded with great kids. ☺

So sad about the Aussie diggers that died.

Amanda Gibson said...

Sounds like you've been busy. Also sounds like lots of progress is being made on the house? Woohoo!

Don't worry too much about Lulu....Jeffery went through that exact same phase - and although I kind of wanted to abandon him on a street corner at times we stuck it out and I still did the right thing as a parent. Now he's 18 and responsible and has good manners and doesn't choose to jump on the bandwagon doing bad stuff with friends. Parenting is hard - kids don't realize how crappy it is to be the bad guy all the time - but someday they will. And someday you'll have the GOOD almost grown up kid and the "nice" parents will be wondering what the heck happened to their kids!