Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I know it will all be ok

So I may have mentioned (or whinged non stop) about how much 2011 has sucked for me and for people I love. Well I think for someone who hates change its about to get a lot more suckier (making up words as I go along).


For years I have worked with David. Its been safe and productive and I have loved it. Lots of peeps say they couldn't work with their spouse. I think it worked for us because David is a completely different person at work. He works non stop and is incredibly professional. He rarely talks about life outside of work and it can take people (like salesmen or project managers) years to work out we are married. Of course this never stopped me from trying to sort kids/dinner plans/holidays with him at work... I just never get very far. Also the flexibility of the owners has played a huge part in my being able to work around study and the kids. For this I have been one of the luckiest people in the workforce.




But this year has been hard and the company we work for has been hit by both the lack of vision and direction on the Coast (2 speed bloody economy anyone?) and by flat out mismanagement from its owners.




Long stressful story short I started applying for jobs. I started applying for jobs in December last year . I started applying for jobs in December last year and after 22 applications and 21 "no thanks" I got one interview.





I got that job.





This is good but not fantastic as its a part time position doing research and admin at the University. I will still work with David part time and just keep swimming towards something permanent. David has some big plans for next year too so we are "going forward".





Wish me luck I am scared beyond words.





Not scared about being able to do the job or my capabilities just scared of the unknown.





I went and met some of the people working on the project and my new boss. They are all very academic (huh that is what you get working at the Uni!) but seem friendly.





I saw our accountant yesterday who is a really good friend and mentor and he allayed some of my fears and actually got me excited about starting something new. I then realised how worried I have been about this change (I have only told about 3 people). Dave has been wanting to take me out to tea to celebrate ever since I got the job but I have been too worried, embarrassed and ashamed to relax enough to celebrate.





Yes embarrassed and ashamed because the position is ONLY part time and could be a mistake blah blah catastrophising blah blah.





I realise this is a really unproductive way to think and have tried to ease up on all the negative self talk. To get a position on the Coast in this jobs economy is actually a big deal and I am just focusing on that.

So now for a completely over the top quote :

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” Marianne Williamson.



That is the story so far .I know it will all be ok. Hey it might even be stellar.

10 comments:

vyc said...

Or as a very good friend of mine said recently (perhaps on this blog):

For goodness sake calm down the worst scenario might not even happen.

You will blitz it. You will love every second, they will love you and IT WILL BE FINE. Shall be thinking of you this week, try to relax and enjoy the experience!

Em said...

First, I'm sorry that you have to go and find another job, as the job with your husband was so perfect.

A saying we have in my family is "I am a queen." (Sayings like that come about when there's all females.) But it is so true: You are a queen. You deserve this great new job, you can handle this change, and you are going to love this job.

And if that doesn't work, just know how jealous I am way over here in Texas. I would love to work part-time for a university doing research of some kind. It sounds really fun. (I've only worked part-time the last couple years and I don't think I could ever be happy working full-time again.) :)

Congrats and good luck!

Em said...

P.S.--I love that quote and THANK you for attributing it to the right source (and not Nelson Mandela)!

brooke said...

I love love love that quote and it describes you perfectly right now. I know you are nervous but in my eyes, you have nothing to fear..you are smart, damn funny and a stone cold fox. So you are going to go into that new job and kill it! They will be bringing you on full time before you know it.

You go girl!

Elizabeth said...

Vyc, Em and Brooke, You girls are he best! Thanks for it all.
Ex

Annie Vowles said...

Hey You. Hope all is going well today and you are in full swing. Our thoughts are with you and we send our love and support. xoxoxoxo

Lauren in GA said...

I completely understand being afraid of the unknown. I am that way too. Change terrifies me.

I know you will do a great job at the Uni. (I love that you called it, "Uni".) You are very clever and delightful...I can tell that and I have never even met you in person.

That is pretty funny that it has taken salesman and project managers years to figure out you and David are married. ☺

Amanda Gibson said...

It really WILL be OK. It'll be great. You'll be great!

Congrats on getting a job in this horrible market. That's really saying something, you know.

Angela said...

I know you will shine! I think you are the most amazing person and I love you.

At least your new job in close to your home.

I have dragged my family 1000km away from home and family for my work. And then move them again 700km (300km closer to home) for another job!

I have worked out that so long as you are with your partner and best friend you can do and make anything work

Holly said...

Catching up on your Aussie life- Congratulations! I look forward to hearing how your new job turns out...