In the lead up to the 10th anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attack on America you couldn't turn the tv or radio on without the "911 specials" being advertised. I found it all a bit strange. The soundbites were all Americans speaking about its effect on them and their country. I believe it was a huge event for Americans that should be commemorated but as Australians maybe we should have also been focusing on how that day effected us. The attack on homeland USA saw our Prime Minister invoke the ANZUS alliance and send Australian troops to war. A war that was deeply unpopular with most Australians at the time (in fact David and I were in the minority as we actually supported Australian soldiers being send to fight the Taliban).
Yesterday as I was driving the kids home from gymnastics the radio started broadcasting a "911" special. I put "911" in brackets because Aussies don't even say the date this way, we say day month year . September the 11th 2001 is 11/09/01. Riley made a comment that the segment was so over the top it was silly. I agreed and said I didn't think it was how we should be honoring those involved. It was lazy. A sound cloud sent directly from the US.
Late last night David and I watched the ABC program Rebirth about five people affected by the tragedy. The show revisited these people each year to see how they coped in the years that followed. It was uplifting and honored those people who died and those left behind. The images were as shocking as when we first watched them 10 years ago.
I was reminded of where I was when I heard about the attack and how devastated we all were.
My sister Ang rang me in the morning as I was getting ready for work and we both couldn't believe it. I tried to call Joel who was living in Nova Scotia and couldn't get through. I went to work pretty upset because I really wanted to make sure Joel was ok. I took the kids to creche and one of the Sister's hugged me and Lucy (who was 15months old). I didn't want to leave them and Sister Mary came out and took Lucy and told me to go.
So even though I was disappointed with the Australian coverage of the anniversary, I realise that the world changed 10 years ago and for lots of people (like the Aussie troops and their families) it has stayed changed. I also hope that 10 years on Afghanistan is a better place for all their sacrifices.
I also hope that the services held across the US help and give comfort and recognise the amazing bravery of many involved on the day.
2 comments:
I appreciated reading this. Sometimes I forget to take into consideration how it affected everyone...all over the world.
Liz - that is a lovely tribute to Ground Zero and how it is still reflecting in so many ways 10 yrs later.
There were a lot of shows on the cable TV channels. We watched quite a few. I had to keep flicking it off the prgram as I was overwelmed by their stories of bravery and sorrow too. Stewart and I held hands most of the time when we DID manange to have stay tuned. I have taped about 4 more shows but not had the emotional courage to watch them all yet.
Your write up brought a tear to my eye. Well done on your compassion.
Good time to remind ourselves how much we love each other and need to keep in touch and share love the daily!!!
Post a Comment