Thursday, August 11, 2011

Aetearoa















Hello from the land of the long white cloud.


Queenstown is fabulous and we are having the BEST skiing weather.


Hope all is very good in your world (my mob isn't working so this is the text I woulda sent ya Peeps).


Love Ex

6 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

I have kind of a, "funny" story for ya...

My kids were watching The Disney Channel and they do a segment about kids all over the world...what they eat...how they live, etc. My boys are fascinated by it. My 8 year old told me a few days ago, "MOM, do know it is WINTER in Australia right now!?" He really had a hard time wrapping his mind around that. I told him, "Yes, I have a new blogging friend that said it was 11 degrees at her house yesterday." He was amazed...then he asked with his mouth slightly agape, "They have to have their summer vacation in the WINTER?!!!!?" I said, "Uh, I don't think so...I imagine they are mid school year right now and then, when we are having our winter they will be off for summer break." I promised him I would ask you. The idea of another part of the earth not being on his same schedule has rocked his world.

Do you do summer break there or do you have year-round school (three months on and three months off)

Elizabeth said...

Hey Lauren, here is a little Aussie 101 for you and the kidlets (and sorry if you already know any or all of this).

The kids school holidays are 2 weeks in April two weeks in June or July (our Winter) two week off in September and then about 4 or 5 weeks off for Summer in Dec/Jan.

We don’t celebrate Halloween or Thanksgiving but our Christmas is a huge celebration.

When I said 11 degrees that is Celsius so that would be about 50F I think.

Where I live in Aus (Sunshine Coast) we have very mild winters and our oldest nights are about 40deg F.
Do your kids know about Steve Irwin The crocodile Hunter and Bindi Irwin? We live in their part of the world and my darling neice use to work at Australia Zoo.

At the moment we have come over to New Zealand to ski as it’s a lot cheaper (sort of if you don’t have my kids and husband!) than skiing in Australia (which you can do in Victoria or New South Wales).

Ummmm any other Questions???
I hope you and the boys find this a little bit interesting.
Ex
PS Your turn... a post about Georgia please ;-) I would love love love to see that part of the US... prop because I watch too many Nicolas Sparks movies!

Nicolee said...

ok so....
happy birthday Riley!! luv that post......you must write a novel my dear!!!
great to hear you had a great time with ur big sis/es!!
and HAPPY HOLIDAY!!!! what a fabulous time you will have I'm sure!!! JEALOUS MUCH!!!
hanging out to see what else you get up to over there!!
X X X X X

The Mostess said...

Ha! I logged on to see what kind of warm and fun summer adventures you have been up to. I forgot you would be in a winter wonderland!

Hope you're enjoying it!

brooke said...

I loved your response to Lauren. I just learned me a thing or two about Australia.

This post made me cold and I'm going out to soak up the last rays of summer here!

Lauren in GA said...

Thank you for the wonderful, detailed answer to my question!

In the U.S. most of the school systems on the east coast (where I have lived for the majority of my life) go to school for 180 days (generally from either August or September until May or June). Most of the school systems get a week off in November for what we consider our Thanksgiving break and then two weeks off in December for what we consider our, "Winter Break". We also get a week of (usually in April) for what we consider our Spring Break. Most school systems break up the vacations a little differently but it is still 180 days of school and then we are off for nearly 3 months for our summer vacation.

There are schools in the U.S. that are considered, "year round". I have never lived in those areas but as best I understand those systems...they sound like they are kind of run like yours.

Again, thanks for the info! My 8 year old Brian was fascinated to learn those Aussie facts. ☺

He still thought 50 degrees F was really cold since we are still in summer...but he was really wowed when he thought it was only 11 degrees F. ;)