Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Play some Poetry and a Disco

I think (and hope) I am pretty much the Average Joe when it comes to parenting. I have days when I am both amazed and delighted with my kids behaviour and their abilities and I am genuinely impressed with their coping skills and reactions to some fairly hairy school situations. In particular Lulu and the social aspect of school where 10 and 11 year old girls view friendship as a contact sport. Recently we attended a Pizza and Poetry Night at Bear's school and his English Teacher praised him and had positive things to say about him... and relief flooded through me. Because in all honesty there are days when I am so appalled at my kids behaviour or attitudes that I cry/yell/lock myself away in my room. It's at these times that I can not believe Dave and I are responsible for turning these kids into decent adults capable of holding down jobs and contributing to society in a positive way. To make myself feel better on the "challenging" days I think of parenting not as a sprint nor as an exact science ... its just one foot in front of the other and getting up each day to give it another go. I am also acutely aware that many parents have far worse trials with their kids. On the whole I scored a big fat gift when it comes to my kids ... no issues we have had has been too much for us to bare and we do consider ourselves to be so lucky (still annoyed when the 13 year old tells us off but lucky all the same).



Anyhoo this is what we have been up before I forget the details in the fabric. Bear had a Poetry and Pizza night at school. We (the parents) got to listen to the kids read the poetry pieces they have been working on for English and have Pizza afterwards. It was a great night and although we were given fairly strict instructions from Bear about Not clapping, Not laughing, Not telling jokes and Not calling him Bear in front of other people. He didn't specifically say I couldn't take a photo - he looks pleased no?. His poem was very clever and all the kids were very talented (and they all just hoped up in front of the parents and kids and belted out their prose... confidence is a blast to watch).




Lulu had a Disco at school. She went with the pink theme (complete with the gangsta /peace sign).




Lulu was also in the school play.




I chopped he other kid out the pic but you get the idea.

Special thanks has to go to the gorgeous Miss Vyc. She sewed all Lulu's costumes for the play. Lulu after seeing some of my sewing efforts couldn't thank Vyc enough. Lulu's beggars sack AND pink sparkly skirt were the best on stage for sure.

Poor Vyc not only sews my kids costumes she also gets to listen to me rabbit on in real life about usually quite boring "stuff". (Wow she is so lucky no?)



Thanks again Vyc ... you rock.

1 comment:

vyc said...

Way to go ... you made me cry! Thank you, although I hate to burst your bubble, but I get it back ten fold from you. You are THE most supporting friend in the world. And honestly, I'm just glad that costume stayed together .... otherwise that performance night would have taken on a whole new meaning!! x