Friday, October 16, 2009

The big stuff in Life


So last year I completed a degree that I studied for 6 years part time and spent a chunk of change to get.



I always thought I would go out and get a job that would "set the world on fire" and that working long hours at my very important & well paying job would see David cutting back his hours to be the "at home" person.


Fast forward to now.... I have no desire to get that job ... there Ive said it (actually I wrote it).




But I do struggle with feeling like a loser for not using the Degree to get a full time job, even though I think the whole family esp me and the kids are benefiting from me being around.


I hope other people feel this way and I hope I eventually make peace with this choice, 'cos surely I cant be a loser ;)


That is my last random thought post for the day.


Ex

3 comments:

brooke said...

I have a law degree and spent a lot of time and money to get it. I've stayed home full time since I had my second kid. I've never regretted it for one minute. You have years to work. Your kids will love that you are at home with them. Good job!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Brooke, I appreciate your thoughts on this subject.

newB said...

... I'd like to bet that your perception of the world, your life, and your family is different with the experience of getting a degree... [*cliche alert] it is a journey, and you got to the end, an achievement. You say that the whole family are benefiting from you being around... maybe it took the degree for everyone (especially yourself) to appreciate you and what you bring to your family. 16 months on from this post you don't show any signs (in your great blog) of loser tendencies! The degree - if you don't use it, that's your choice, but it can't be taken away from you. You still get to keep the big brain.