Friday, March 23, 2012

Stop me if you have heard this before

I have had two head shrinking sessions with a counselor and so far so hard unsettling tiring good.

In case you want the short version: there is no magic pill in dealing with anxiety (well there probably are a few magic pills but not for me) and its not going to kill me and I have the power to minimise or maximise its impact on my life.

I like talking to Tracey. She is a talker too and that makes me feel relaxed. She is also smart, married, a Mum and has fantastic clothes and shoes. This is important to me why?
When T talks about anxiety she makes it seem like an unwanted guest that shows up in times of stress to protect us. My mission is to make the guest only show up when I really need to Fight or Flight ... not when  they run out of broccoli at the IGA.

I have homework. If I do my homework everyday I feel like I can actually banish a lot of the stronger symptoms of being anxious and stressed. The first week my home work was  to be present. This task is a lot less wankier harder than you think. So I had to live right in the moment ... not think about what was happening tomorrow, not organise the kids schedule in my head, not  plan how my next day at work was going to go. I also couldn't dwell on the past recent or otherwise.
So if  I was helping Lu with her homework, I was noticing the words and text etc. If  was driving Bear to Rugby I was either talking to him or really taking in the scenery. The deal was to be aware of my senses and bring my scattered brain back to centre. The ultimate deal is to do this more and more so that I am much more focused on the task at hand in general.

This week my homework has been to try 10 daily nurturing habits. Nurturing habits are things you do that nurture your brain. It usually involves your senses as well. For example some of mine are looking at the view from the Sports Tower where I work when the sun is shining. Putting on and smelling perfume everyday. Getting a hug from the kids (an noticing how their hands or arms  feel around my neck  me. Sitting against the big feather down pillow on my bed. You get the idea, these habits don't involve money (although I reckon a  pedi  could nurture my soul)  or a lot of time.

T also recommended an  app  for my mob called The Mindful Buddha (its also a book and on twitter). The app guides you through mind and breathing exercises but frankly I am struggling to get all my homework as well as my life done so I am not really using the app at the mo. Maybe if I gave up instagram I may have time for The Mindful Buddha. Maybe I should prioritise my iPhone mucking around time.

I feel like lots of the information T gives me I have heard before. Except I haven't its just that it makes such good sense to me. It resonates with how I am and how I want to live. I feel like with the right tools I could live a much more peaceful life.

So anyway I am suppose to take a list of my life expectations to my next appointment.

Note to self ... get some life expectations ... quick!



PS Anxiety and depression can go hand in glove ...  I thank my lucky lucky stars and the great cosmic lottery that I don't suffer the debilitating symptons of depression. I know lots of people who do and this post in no way minimises  the use of medication  or counselling to deal with that black dog of a disease.
Love ya
Ex


10 comments:

Greg said...

I'm glad that you are getting good help to help work through the anxiety that you are facing.

I think some of your homework assignments are good advice for anyone. I could definitely work on living in the moment and not thinking about all the stuff I have to do in the future.

Speaking of the future...I hope you have a surprise pedi in your future...that ought to help with the anxiety symptoms! =o)

Jacko said...

Can I please have your course notes when you're finished with them :-) Love.

Elizabeth said...

Greg... The Pedi is on the must do list lol!

Dad... Bahahahaha maybe you and I could go to a meditation retreat together (just that very thought is making your neck itch hey).
Love you Ex

vyc said...

Ooooh, ill come to a retreat with you. Unlimited vodka & lindt right? Actually, that just sounds like our weekends away. Glad the new T is working out for you, xxx

Amanda Gibson said...

Good for you for taking the time to make some changes. Most of us just leave things as they are instead of making changes towards more happiness - me included.

I am such a planner - and I guess until you wrote this post I never thought about how my trying to plan every bit of my (our) days makes me feel anxious.

I'm going to take your friend Tracey's advice and try to be more present instead of wasting all my "present moments" thinking about the future and past.

I totally just made that whole "present moments" thing up.

Glad I stopped by today, Elizabeth!! Happy Monday!!

(or is it Tuesday there? I'm always confused about that)

Lauren in GA said...

I just love you, Elizabeth. I enjoyed your comedic tone and you shared how you are learning to handle the anxiety.

I learned A LOT from this post. I definitely needed to read it.

I also love the title of this post. You make me laugh! I love your wit.

Holly said...

Sorry you're going through this. Hope the head shrinking helps! (I commiserate.) Prayers.

Em said...

Thank you for sharing this. One of my closest friends is struggling with this right now and I hope to share some of these tips with her.

Please keep us posted...wishing the best for you.

And get that pedi! It cures a variety of ills. :)

brooke said...

This was really good for me to read. I think I have some anxiety issues as well and am going to try this stuff..especially living in the moment and not stressing about tomorrow..tomorrow takes care of itself and it all works out.

I am glad you found someone good and fashionable to talk to. I laughed at that because my counselor is very cute and fashionable too and somehow it mattered to me too!

Annie Vowles said...

Wow friend. . . . I once told you ages ago that I do not know how you cope with all this thinking you do - every minute of the day. You need more chilling out in Darwin sooner than you think!!! We are so looking forward to seeing you for your 40 B/Day. Love you lots - always. xoxoxox