Sunday, February 12, 2012

Darwin Getaway

So David and I went on a trip to Darwin sans kids (but with Cath) to help celebrate Joel's 30th Birthday.
Getting there involved getting up at stupid o'clock and driving to Brisvegas (not to mention the logistics of getting the kids and guinea pig babysat) but so totally worth it of course.
Cath's suitcase label says "Queen of Everything" never a truer sign I've seen.
This is pre flight ... David is probably thinking "she isn't going t make me take pictures of everything for the next 4 days is she?"
Oh joy of joys we stayed with Stevie and Davina. We got to cuddle their new baby girl and spoil the boys, just one of the highlights of the trip.
We bought this racing car track for the boys. They loved it when they weren't disagreeing over who was going to have the red racing car.

Ethie is the best big brother and both the boys love and adore their sister.

The night we arrived we went to tea with my sibs and my Aunt and Uncle to celebrate Joel's birthday. It was such a lovely night being with people we don't get to see enough and who we miss dreadfully.
My Uncle Geoff - what a dud!

Ang & Gav

Cath & Andrew

Krys & Joel

Us!

Rob & Geoff

Best Chinese food ever... I am still craving the Pandan Chicken

Whilst we were in Darwin it was Chinese New Year. Kong Hee Fat Choy to you all.
As we were eating our dinner really loud drumming started outside the restaurant and then 3 or 4 dragons came in and danced in the restaurant before taking the lettuce and money offering for good luck. Seeing the little dragon (with children inside) wiggling his tail and blinking his eyes was so much fun. For about the million time since we landed I wished we had bought the kids to Darwin. Afterwards we caught up with Annie and Stewart (who were in the ballroom at the Chinese cultural  celebration) and they took us into the VIP area for a catch up! I love how Annie and Stewie roll.
Our nephews are the most gorgeous little boys. It was so nice to be with little ones again.. they are such good fun.

Saturday morning we met up with Krys, Joel and Co at the Parap Markets. I sort of bang on about the food at Darwin's markets but IT'S SO GOOD.
Look at me! I felt like the luckiest person on earth to be carrying baby Matia.  

More Gorgeous boys.

We found a big table in the shade (miracle) and ate our way through Chicken Laksa, Poa Pia , Pandan Chicken sticks, spring rolls, lime and watermelon juice and banana pancakes.




Chicken Laksa ... I would have taken pics of the other food but we ate  it  :-)

Joel is most likely thinking... another pic? really?
My gorgeous Sister in Law. The ultimate Yummy Mummy.
Trust your Uncle to dress you up in a tutu!
Saturday night was Joel's big party. I am going to blog that separately - until then this pic is from the party.
Way to keep it classy girls.
Sunday David and I asked the boys what they wanted to do. Water Park seemed to be a winner so we took them for a splash.

Poor Ethie is a little bit tired from running up and down the slides at this stage.
Of course when you are going for Favourite Aunty and Uncle status you take the punters to the best restaurant in town ;-)
Sunday afternoon I got o spend some precious (but way too short) time with Annie and Stewart.
Ha these guys are famous!


Sunday night we took Stevie and Davina to the trailer boat club for tea and I got to see a Darwin sunset (like no other). My mob was charging so you will have to take my word for it that the sunset was specky, as was the prawn and paw paw salad, oysters, lamb vindaloo and about 3 other dishes we ordered!
After the TBC we dropped into Joel and Krys to start the first of the goodbyes (I HATE HATE HATE that part) to Krysie and Andrew. It sucked.

One last cuddle (if you think Dave cuddled Matia a lot ... I reckon I cuddled her at least twice as much ;-)
Going to the airport in Joel's work car. Always good to be prepared .

Joel and Krys orchid was flowering ... such a sign form Mum that she was right there  enjoying her Baby's 30th birthday.

Discussing lawn?

David did a bit of measuring up.


Cooper

Macy - who is deaf so telling her to look at the camera worked a treat.

and just to let us know that we were in the rugged top end this was the front page of the newspaper at the airport.

So that was our very quick trip to Darwin. I didn't get to see some specially people (hey Nic) but hopefully we are going back this year with the kids for a long family holiday.  

Next post will be all about Joel and his 30th year.

7 comments:

Greg said...

Wow! You managed to fit quite a bit in for a "quick trip to Darwin"!

My favorite pic was the first one of you holding your little niece(?). Very cute!! =o)

Lauren in GA said...

I love how you say such funny things like, "stupid o'clock."

...The red car is always highly coveted at my house, too. Something about red...it seems faster, I guess.

Stevie and Davina's children are gorgeous.

I love that you got to spend time with the FAMOUS Annie and Steward. That is fun that you took pictures with the huge head shots of them :)

Lauren in GA said...

Oh...and I LOVED the comment you made on my blog about putting some guyliner on my Adam and making him Capt. Jack Sparrow. That is a GREAT idea, actually!

brooke said...

That brand new baby girl is yummy! I love your striped top. What a fun trip!

Em said...

What a gorgeous vacation!

I am actually quite jealous of the whole Chinese New Year dragon celebration you got to experience. I make it a goal every year to join the festivities somehow and I never do.

I also loved the striped top!

dementia said...

jealous, jealous, jealous! dreaming of the poa pias and laksa, trailer boat club sunset and parap markets! (looks like there is lots of building going on there - still good place though?)and how long ago it seems that we were the ones with the littlies in darwin - those were the days (and of the cea)! and you get to go back - (probably the dry i bet, must've been a bit steamy this trip)can't believe your little bro is already 30 (my god! what does that make you!) dementia

dementia said...

p.s the 'not the news'is still flying the flag of quality journalism i see! my fave is 'sex car toilet seen at creche'