Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Roaring Forties



Tomorrow I turn 40.

We are all flat out getting ready for lots of family visiting this weekend. I can’t wait.

I actually couldn't care less about being 40 or getting older... my Nanna P used to say when talking about getting older "well it’s better than the alternative!" So true. Too many precious people are taken too early and they don't get the privilege of just ... being here. I feel lucky that I am around to do the good stuff (and the crappy stuff).

But I also get why people struggle with the zero numbers. There is a lot of fuss about them and you have no choice but to stop and think about the decisions you have made and the direction you are going in. There is also the undeniable truth that you have less time than you ever had before.

Riley and I went for a skateboard/walk on Sunday and I was thinking about how I felt right now in my life (whilst Bear tried to stop my heart showing me his boarding "skillz") and about being 40.

I came up with a really great list of people, reasons, experience and happenstance that make my life good (and if you are reading this you are one of them) and make me the person I am (and also striving to be). So bring on tomorrow :-)

I will finish with a quote that made me laugh like an idiot.



“Forty isn't old, if you're a tree”



 Ex


7 comments:

Greg said...

I love your thoughts about this milestone in your life and I think it is important to reflect on our progress as we strive to become better people and to constantly improve.

Happy Birthday! I never would have guessed that this was your 40th! I hope you have a wonderful day and are surrounded by friends and family who adore you!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Greg :-)

Lauren in GA said...

I agree with Greg...I LOVE your thoughts about reaching this milestone age. How wise you are.

You. do. not. look. 40!

Happy, happy birthday, my dear!

You could try and play the age card when Riley tries to give you are heart attack with his boarding, "skillz". Grab your chest and yell, "Oh, my heart! Don't do that...I'm older you know...you could scare me to death!" I mean, even though you are in perfect health, you could still use your actual age for your advantage. ;)

dementia said...

Happy 40th Lizzie - some words of wisdom that resonate at our time of life..."To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Em said...

I agree with Greg, too!

Happy Birthday, Elizabeth! I hope your day was extra special with all your loved ones visiting! You look fabulous and perfect at the perfect age of 40! :)

brooke said...

I am the worst friend ever for being so delinquent in my blog reading..I missed your 40th!!! Happy Birthday dear friend..you don't look a day past 25!

Nicolee said...

hi my gorgeous friend! I've been off the grid (bloggin-wise) for a bit now....LIFE is getting in the way :( I've just caught up with Mar-May of your life.
So sorry to hear of Bears loss, thats just tragic. I hope he's doing ok!
Happy 40th my friend!!!! I thought about you on your day, our month!!! 40's not really a big deal ey!? just another year, I certainly don't feel 'old'...well today I do, but in general! :D
You're looking incredible as usual. All your photos make me wanna move to QLD quick smart! Life can get pretty boring up here!!!
anyway, luv u loads my beautiful friend! <3 mwah xxx