Monday, April 9, 2012

The March (Summation) Madness

March started with David and Lucy watching KONY2012. I have not yet seen the video but I did once write a 5000 word essay about the impotence of the International Criminal Court in trying African Dictators accused of war crimes... that was depressing enough.

The Kangaroos are out at work. I hate them and when I have to walk between our office and the rest of campus I avoid them like the plague. These pics were taken miles away from the actual hoppers.



For the first time since we bought our property (9 years ago) our backyard flooded. We have had so much rain that the ground is waterlogged and it didn't take much for it to flood. Lucy and I got stranded in Pwoods as our road was flooded.  



 The March weather was wet, violent and unpredictable. Dad and Jan are still cleaning up their property after a huge storm in early March. This is some of the damage and Dad's favourite child (Sammie) supervising the cleanup.


Bear cleaned up  and David and I went to tea (and I bought a new tent  dress).


The background to David and I escaping together for tea. Bear is training and playing Rugby 4 nights a week and one day a weekend. The driving and logistics are killing us. Remember how we were going to make Bear choose club OR school rugby? Well he came to us with a proposal. If he received a fantastic school report (A's and B+'s) then could he continue with both teams? Sure we said (thinking he would have at least C in his report 'cos we are supportive like that). Yeah the jokes on us (and our fuel bill). I mean well done Bear on our fabulous school report.
So back to ditch the children  Date-night. Minding his sister is just one of he things Riley is doing to show how much he appreciates us flogging all over the coast for him. 


Of course Bear was far from impressed at being ditched with Lu so like all good parents we sent him pics of the food to annoy him.
The following may be a text convo that occurred after the food pics were sent. 

David: Yum
Bear: So foul don't talk to us my pie got burnt from Riley :-(







Mum and Brian came for lunch. Mum made apple and walnut cake. This cake is my favourite ever. Mum made it for me when  was I pregnant with Lucy and I am not ashamed to tell you over the course of two days I ate the whole thing. It will come as no surprise to anyone that I put on about 25kegs each time I was pregnant. Yet each baby only weight about 3 kegs ... weird.




I sent this pic to Dave and asked him if he thought I should have Sushi for lunch. He didn't reply.

  I also sent him these pics to get his input on home furnishes.

His response to this rug was "are you taking the piss?" So rude. I think I preferred the no response.

 This is my desk at the uni. I am about to be moved upstairs (and given a full time job and a promotion - yay me) so I thought I would take a pic of my cute office before I lose it.

 These pics make me happy. My new take away cup and my flowering hydrangeas.

David and Riley started landscaping downstairs. David is transforming this area with a rock wall and pavers.  David and Riley if you ever read this ... you are amazing.

Queensland had an election. The conservatives swept to power with a 17% swing and now we have no Opposition. It's ace if you are a property developer or a mining magnate. For the rest of us, lets hope a government with no accual history of governing can do OK.
Lulu and David made Sushi. Obviously we have very loose food safety standards in this house as that is the actual Sushi being manhandled.
 Lucy loves the iphone (sounds like an OPI nail colour).

 More landscaping and digging.



Riley with the whackapacker (not to be confused with the whippersnipper Lauren ;-) getting the pad ready for the pavers.

So that was March according to my iphone.


On behalf of Riley and I, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their kind words, comments, texts and emails about Riley's mate Matt. Matt was farewelled on Thursday in the church he was baptised in. He parents and sister were so brave and a bloody inspiration to us all. Bear decided he didn't want to attend the funeral as he felt he had said his goodbyes at a beach prayer service on Sunday. Instead he and his Surf Lifesaving Patrol mates got together went for a surf at Marcoola Beach in honour of Matt. Thank you again or those who prayed and thought about Matt's fam. Ex

9 comments:

brooke said...

Wow...hilarious as usual!

I love that you guys assumed Bear would get at least one C and now the jokes on you., what a good kid!

Love your new dress...you are gorgeous my friend.

I am sorry about the flooding...what a damper on life. And I was dying at the kangaroos. Are they aggressive?

Finally, Dave's response to your house items made me laugh out loud.

Greg said...

Congrats on the promotion and sweet new office! Well-deserved, I'd say!!

I love the rain and have promised never to complain about it, but we've never had flooding like you had! I hope it didn't cause too much damage.

I loved the pics of the kangaroos. Are they dangerous? We have coyotes in our neighborhood, but I've never felt threatened by them. I think I wouldn't know what to expect if I were ever approached by a wild kangaroo though!

Lauren in GA said...

You are hilarious. Like seriously :)

It blows my mind that there are kangaroos out and about like that. I guess because the only place you can see kangaroos around this country is in the zoo. It seems like they are common like squirrels or deer here.

Boooooo! on the flooding. What a mess. Unpredictable weather scares me so much.

Great job to Riley for getting great grades...and my condolances on the fuel bills. I guess he outsmarted you...literally!

Congrats on the full time job and promotion!!

You look so beautiful I LOVE that dress!

Hey, thanks for the shout out :)
I enjoyed reading about Riley with the whackpacker...I now know that isn't a whippersnipper.

The fact that you send Riley pics of the food CRACKED me up!

Angela said...

New job? Congrats love ya

Holly said...

As someone who considers a kangaroo an "exotic animal," I must know why you hate them?

Congrats on the new job!

The Mostess said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, I absolutely love the fact that you sent pictures of your tasty food to your kids as they ate burnt pie. You kill me.

I'm excited to see the backyard when it's finished.

And your dress looked adorable! Not tentish at all.

Please don't eat sushi that looks like that. I like you, and don't want you to die.

Amanda Gibson said...

What tent? You look fabulous and that dress is SO not a tent. If only we could all look so good!

Congrats on the promotion!

Annie Vowles said...

Love this stuff - putting yourself out there as usual. BUT Hey - I totally get what David is saying! hee hee hee.

Em said...

I echo the sentiments on the dress.

I too send my hubby photos of potential home furnishings and usually receive very (too) opinionated replies. I'm always sorry I've done it.

I love your musings on your new gov't.

I swear I've read this already, but have been out of town and am just commenting now. It was like rereading it for the first time, if that makes sense...