Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It all cooks right?

So not only have I turned into one of those peeps who discusses ugly exhaust fans, round vs square sinks and the benefits of waterproofing ... cooktops are now sending me bonkers.


We are at the stage of picking appliances for the new kitchen. From the very start I have wanted an induction cook top. David didn't care and was happy to let me pick... as long as it was gas ;-)
We went backwards and forwards with it and after a telling off from his Mum (she has gas but wants induction) he gave in. Of course at this point I chickened out of the induction top 'cos it's like 4 x times the price of a good quality European gas cooktop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooker






We are no further along in deciding. I really wanted the induction cooktop because I believe it heats up like gas yet has a smooth top like ceramic thus making it far easier to clean and keep looking nice (I've had a ceramic cooktop and it wasn't as good to cook with as gas).

David really wanted a gas cooktop because on the 3 days a year he cooks poached eggs ... he wants to do it with gas.




Apparently the other main benefit of an induction cooktop is you get to conduct many stupid food experiments in the privacy of your home.


My main main main concern is trying to keep a gas cook top clean. I have seen gas cooktops that look shocking because they aren't cleaned well after each use and even though I devote most of my day to scrubbing our appliances (that may be a total lie) I still worry.





Mainly I worry my cook top will end up looking like this.






So I want to know




  • Do you have a gas cooktop and do you love it?


  • Is it hard to keep clean?


  • Do you have an induction cooktop and do you love it?


  • Does your induction cooktop cook as well as gas?


  • If you do have an induction cooktop which kidney did you sell to afford it and can I have your dealers number?


Also if someone (and by someone I mean you DAD) could research the pros and cons of Induction vs Gas cooktops and get back to me (including make, model and serial number please) ... that would be great.

Ex

6 comments:

Angela said...

Hi Hon,
I cook with gas and like it, but I ahve never used induction for cooking so I can't compare. I clean the stove after each use, then it is eaiser to keep clean.
love you
Angela

Rachel B. said...

You always make me laugh! My favorite line..."the 3 days a year he cooks poached eggs..." Our appliances are pretty lame so I won't be much help to you. We always laugh at the show "House Hunters" (do you have that there?) though because some people won't even look at houses if they don't have a gas stove. I'm with you, even with our bottom of the line stove..."it all cooks". Good luck! :)

brooke said...

We have electric which has a ceramic top which cleans up like a dream (one wipe across it with a wet rag) but I am also someone who is only making mac and cheese (the kind from the box) and rice on my stovetop so I didn't need gas....

I have no idea what induction even is. I'm a complete baffoon in the kitchen. I would go with whatever is easier to keep clean. You'll never regret it. However, if you are looking at a dirty appliance every single day, you will hate it.

Nicolee said...

sorry my friend.....can't help you with this poll! Don't have either, but a horrible old electric that is on the blink.....am waiting for my kitchen reno (next year)....so I'll get all the info off you then hey!? ;D

Em said...

I have gas and like it, but I don't know why. Everyone says it's better so that may be why I like it. But it is mayhem cleaning up.

Em said...

P.S. I don't know what induction is either...