Sunday, July 10, 2011

Books Books Books

I've been reading and you know how I like to bore peeps with my reviews. Here goes.



Lets start with the biggest DUD. Wendy Harmer has written some good books this is not one of them. In fact I bet she got a bazillion $$$ to write this fiction book and basically just dialled it in. Very Very Boring.





Wow my pics of these books are crap. It's hard to cyber steal good work.


Gordon Livingston is a psychologist who writes the best self help books because basically his advice is "Harden Up".



And never stop dancing: 30 more things you need to know now is his latest book and in it he explores

"a clear and deep understanding of the hidden hypocrisies, desires, evasions, and emotional tumult that course through our lives."

I stole that quote too. This book is easy to read and wakes you up to some of the issues in life we should be more aware (and thankful) of.





Judith Lucy is a comedienne who always felt like a bit of a misfit in her (KRAZY) family. This makes a bit more sense to her when an in- law tells her she is adopted...in the middle of a family dinner...when everyone is drunk...on Christmas Day. I loved this autobiography. It wasn't too self pitying or too "lets gloss over all the crappy bits in my life" happy. This story made me care about JL and I hope by writing this book she has found a bit of peace.






In very much the same vein as Judith Lucy's book Lily Bragge's autobiography is the story of a person trying to live her adulthood with the albatross of her childhood slung firmly around her neck. She doesn't get very far obviously. In fact she becomes a drug addict and losses custody of her son. What happens in the end of this book still astonishes me.








I have read both these bad boys in the last couple of weeks and except for a shameless self reference in The Fifth Witness (name checking the fact that Matthew McConaughey plays the lead character in The Lincoln Lawyer movie) they were both interesting, easy to read and very enjoyable.


This book was NOT easy to read or enjoyable but I am still glad I read it.

Madeleine McCann was taken from her out hotel room in Portugal in 2007. Her parents were eating dinner at the hotel restaurant about 300m away and between the time her father checked on her and her siblings and the time her mother checked on her about 45Min's later she was kidnapped. She was 3. This book is her mother Kate's account of the living nightmare that has followed.

I knew the story of the kidnapping but was shocked to learn that no one other than her parents are actively looking for this child. The (very deficient) Portuguese police investigation has been closed and whilst the British Police have advised and shared some resources its not their jurisdiction. In fact Kate McCann says that part of the reason of writing this book was to raise funds for the on going self funded investigation of her daughters kidnapping. I felt bad as I borrowed this book from the library but there is a paypal donation button on their website.



I know when children are hurt or go missing it is usually connected to their parents but this case seems like two loving parents who naively thought as they were holidaying with other Britons in a British run hotel and as they never left the resort their children would be safe. They have paid a very high price for this naivety. Kate McCann also goes into detail about being named as a suspect by the Portuguese police and all the nutters who routinely try to contact them. As if not knowing where in this grubby shitty world your baby was wasn't bad enough. I really don't know how some people live with the circumstances life dishes up to them.




I have saved the best to last. This fiction story is about a mother of three who has a car accident that leaves her unable to "see" or use her left side. The reason why this is such an interesting book is the authors ability to convey what real life is like for parents with young children and then for someone recovering from a brain injury. There isn't too much sugar coating and I was pleased to see a main character of fiction having such a strong voice especially about the issues of being a working parent and striving for career advancement and financial security.


So how about you? Read anything good lately?

5 comments:

Jacko said...

Your reading list makes my john Grisham seem childish - still to each his own. Love you.

Elizabeth said...

Hey Dad, Love you too :-)
and you have reminded me to put my name down for the new JG book at he library. I love Grisham too.

Amanda Gibson said...

Thanks for this post, Elizabeth - I just finished The Passage and am in need of another book - I think I'm going to go check that last one you listed out at the library. Sounds good to me.

brooke said...

I learned recently that I am getting dumber....is that a word? I tried to read the Time Traveler's Wife on my vacation and the whole going back and forward in time was just too much for my vacation brain. I had to put it down. Apparently I'm too old for fiction.

I read Bossypants by Tina Few in a single day and laughed my guts out. Funniest book ever. You must get your hands on a copy. You would love it.

Jessica said...

Ooh, I LOVE Lisa Genova. I'm putting that on my Goodreads for sure. Are you on Goodreads? You should be.

And, I've missed your blogging very much and am glad I figured out the whole private thing.

And your header picture is the awesomest one ever.